Wednesday, January 4, 2012

$40 mp3 player with wifi, speaker, linux support (palm pixi plus)

For almost 4 years I have used a mp3 player from Creative Labs named "ZEN Stone Plus with built-in speaker". It was used it to play music for our toddler all night long, nearly every night.

It was an absolutely wonderful product. Battery life via rechargeable battery was excellent, it was small enough to forget about in your pocket, and the speaker was sufficient for what we needed

The only deficiency in my opinion was that it could not play music while plugged into AC power. That meant that a.) the battery would have to last the 10+ hours every night and b.) we had to plug it into AC power every morning to charge it. In the end, it was the latter that caused me to need to replace it. After probably 1000+ plug-in and remove (many by a child under 5 years old) the pins in the USB connection eventually failed.

If you're looking for a portable MP3 player with a built-in speaker, your options are very few. The Ipod Touch (and Iphone) are perfectly good solutions, but come a hefty price tag even used. So, I had to get creative.

I'd seen the Palm Pixi appear on a couple "deal-a-day" websites at the $30 price range, and that lead me to consider the Palm Pixi Plus. The Pixi Plus has the following features that made it look *very* tempting:

  • 8GB storage
  • Internal Speaker
  • wifi
  • web browser
  • GPS
  • Camera
  • Touch screen and physical keyboard
  • can play music while charging
  • runs linux! (just geeky)
  • open development platform

However, I googling left me unsure about a couple things:

  • Could I use the pixi's wifi without first activating it with some carrier? I had no interest in a phone, or a monthly bill. It did seem that worst case, I could activate on a pay-as-you-go provider and get going for probably less than $10 total.
  • If I could manage to avoid activation, could I still have access to the Palm WebOS Store? Having an "App Store" was an unnecessary upgrade from the zen stone we had before, but sure would be nice.

In the end, the answer to each of the above questions was 'Yes'. I now have a MP3 player with a builtin speaker, that also has all the functions generally associated with a smart phone (see above). I'm really happy with it. It cost me $40 shipped in 2 days (I do have amazon prime, so total cost may be a little bit more). The only two issues at the moment are:

  • Getting it plugged in for charge is a bit of a pain, and it seems to me that likely the thing that will end up failing is that connection, because its not 100% trivial (and remember, toddlers/young kids are using it). There is, however, a $15 solution for that. I've not purchased it yet, so I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like I can get a Touchstone Palm Pixi Charging Dock and Palm Pixi Touchstone Cover shipped for under $10.
  • The music player stops somewhere after 2 hours or so when its on repeat of a single song. Obviously this is not an issue for many people, but it affects my use case.

In Summary, if you think an 8GB mp3 player with GPS, speaker, camera would be a generally cool toy for $40, then buy one today. I'm really happy with this one. I'll try to write another article soon that describes how to use Meta Doctor to flash with activation disabled and then run the first use program to set up a profile.

41 comments:

  1. I have a Palm Pre Plus and love it. Got it from AT&T refurbished for contract "free".

    Now that I see the touchstone chargers are $6 I might pick one up, although I think I don't need the Cover with the Pre Plus.

    You have preware installed, right? The much better appstore :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @gQuigs,
    You're right about the touchstone charger. I ended up ordering a base and a case last night, and then today realized that the case is unnecessary with the pixi plus (at least from verizon). So $6 total is all needed to never use the usb connection for charging.
    I did install preware, and will try to cover how to do that in the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would looping the song ahead of time, in Audacity for example, allow you to play longer or is it really a time limit on a single mp3 file?

    ReplyDelete
  4. lefty.crupps,
    I haven't tried to work around it at all. I assume that I could find some way. The other thing I considered was having it play a playlist that just happened to have the same song in it 100 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really!!! I am very impressed after reading this blog. thanks for providing deep information for
    ncs

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    Charles Cossetti - Go Hard

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this post will be a fine read for my blog readers too, could you please allow me to post a link to my blog. I am sure my guests will find that very useful.
    bluetooth ceiling speakers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its wonderful, looking at the time and effort you put into your weblog and detailed information you provide. I'll bookmark your weblog and visit it weekly for your new posts.
    Stonelove J - Urkel video

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good information and great post.  I like the website, and am sure to keep returning.
    in ceiling center channel speaker

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a great blog - I would think your readership is very high?
    earin earphones

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    RMP - FLEXIN Official Music Video

    ReplyDelete
  12. This discussion unexpectedly takes my attention to join inside. Well, after I read all of them, it gives me new idea for my blog. thanks
    Recording Drummer

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    Laura Mendes - No Control

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the update you have nicely covered this topic. keep it up
    corporate entertainment

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really great news. Thank you for sharing it with us!
    Borderline - Saint Tropez Caps & Chris Marina feat. Joyce Sterling

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    Amie Penwell - Dogfight On The Moon

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spot on with this article, I really think this website needs more attention. I'll probably be back to read more, thanks for the info.
    Creep | Radiohead Acoustic Cover

    ReplyDelete
  18. You made some good quality points there. I did a search on the topic and found many people will agree with your blog.
    Mr. Shammi_Time Machine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its wonderful, looking at the time and effort you put into your weblog and detailed information you provide. I'll bookmark your weblog and visit it weekly for your new posts.
    Villian - KD

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am undeniably thankful to you for providing us with this invaluable related information. My spouse and I are easily grateful, quite frankly the documents we needed.
    TED TALK Fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting topic, can you post some further information on this subject.
    Sensory friendly theater New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi I really appreciate all the great content you have here. I am glad I cam across it!
    Sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am undeniably thankful to you for providing us with this invaluable related information. My spouse and I are easily grateful, quite frankly the documents we needed.
    Can't Stop the feeling by Justin Timberlake

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.. they are really interesting.. I would like to read more from you.
    Paul Maged - "The Wild" (Official Music Video)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great blog you have here - market is very slow - Hopefully things will begin picking back up
    comedy musical

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the update you have nicely covered this topic. keep it up
    Changing Chords

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thats great. i chose got the right one information at the right time for the right situation. thanks for sharing.
    Shows2Go App

    ReplyDelete
  28. This discussion unexpectedly takes my attention to join inside. Well, after I read all of them, it gives me new idea for my blog. thanks
    Chiro - No Other Bagger

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great ....You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post. I admire the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.
    Tory Lanez Live at Alexander Gastown

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Ev Vinyls - The Rush Music Video

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think most people would agree with your article. I am going to bookmark this web site so I can come back and read more articles. Keep up the good work!
    pop music Artist Ksenia Valentis

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very informative site, i must bookmark it, keep posting interesting articles...
    Black Rock Revival-If You Want It- Official Video

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Beatflipz Walkthrough

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Dammy Ari Give Ya

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi there, I just wanted to say thanks for this informative post, can you please allow me to post it on my blog?
    Electric Love by Funeral Strippers

    ReplyDelete
  36. This discussion unexpectedly takes my attention to join inside. Well, after I read all of them, it gives me new idea for my blog. thanks
    I Live Life ILL Apparel

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'd like to know how everything is going with this.
    Beyond the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  38. This blog have a lot of knowledge.we will take necessary information from this article.



    Hip Hop Songs

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very exclusive blog about music, Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post Nice Post keep it up.

    SHORT FILM

    ReplyDelete